Friday, November 12, 2010

Amy Sedaris Book Signing

Thursday evening my friend Jamie and I went to see Amy Sedaris at her book signing for Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People. I like for my dates to just be bare-faced so I can go play in makeup and do them up. Unfortunately Jamie had left all of her makeup at her boyfriend's apartment so we had to dig through her mom's stuff. We found this Avon eyeshadow that I wanted to steal.



Clockwise from left: Jamie bare-faced, eyes, side, front..



We, as usual, got lost on our way to the event. It was at The Armory, which I had never been to. We ended up at The Army National Guard near a hospital because someone gave me misleading directions. We just drove to downtown Durham, looked for people carrying books, and followed them.

We got there right before it started and there were a TON of people already seated.



We were in the second to last row when we spotted the upper level and decided to move for a better view..



Amy demonstrated how to make a twist tie from the love-making section of the book, as well as the Candle Salad. She was pretty hilarious and entertaining during her Q&A Section with the audience. When someone asked if she would buy them a book because they are too poor to afford one, she suggested they steal their neighbor's book.

I was in Group E for the book signing but some of us have to be at work at 7:00 am, so Jamie suggested we "change that E to a B and roll on," which is exactly what I did (super crafty). I'm glad I did because she talked with everyone who came through the line and politely accepted their bullshit craft. The lady in front of me gave her a bright yellow wrist band that looked like something that would admit you to a theme park and it said "FALL RISK" on it. It's for when you wear high heels apparently.

These same ladies asked me to take their picture with her. They wanted two pics! Amy told me my shirt was cute. I had on the white and gold one I had worn to work the day before. Dirty girl.

When it was my turn she asked me if I had made any cool crafts recently. I told her that, actually, I am making sushi ornaments for my Christmas tree out of styrofoam balls and glitter, and I am going to glue (or tie) chop sticks together to make a tree-topper star. She was like "oooooooo! That's a good idea!" We said our thanks and you're welcomes, and 2 minutes later outside I found this:



I'm high on happiness and the excitement I get from glitter!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Changing the E to a B was GENIUS! It saved us ATLEAST an hour in line.
And we don't go places where we don't get lost first.. its just not how we roll.

- Jamie

Unknown said...

Awesome!!! At our event she said that an interviewer balked at the $30 and she also said "poor people can just steal it!" Genius!

Unknown said...

Allllso- Don't be ashamed you wanted Avon. I've been having a lot more respect for them after they made Reese a spokesmodel. I kind of wish I had an Avon lady.