Saturday, November 20, 2010

Glitter in my nose!

I have been working on my sushis so hard! I wanted a better nigiri ornament than what I was making, so that's how my little sushi ornaments taught me the strategy "perfect the original then branch out" this week. Sushi takeout is a great inspiring agent for this project!



I turned my rolled felt into little pillows because the open ends were driving me crazy and glue was not the answer.



I learned to wait a second for the glue to seep into the felt nicely because it helps make the glitter salmon really pretty..





This lighting in this picture is crazy but I love the finished product..



After I fell in love with my Nigiris, I did lots of sushi research to create a plan for my other ornaments..

I am making Wasabi Tobiko, Salmon Roe, Salmon or Tuna Maki (with Roe on top), an Avacado Specialty Roll (so named because of the avacado on top), and little wasabis and gingers. This plan was necessary. I can't tell you how big of a mess I made and how sparkly my carpet is from all of the "test" work I did this week.

This Salmon Roe Sushi is a product of some of my test work..



I like it but it looks too much like a cupcake so I am going to change the shape and not make the roe as high. I am also moving the ribbon out of the very middle.

I fell in love with glittery sushi ornaments so much that I started to think others might love them too, so I'm opening a little store with this adorable banner that Julie created for me:



I haven't finished creating my store yet because I don't have examples of all my rolls made, but I am hoping to offer them for $10 for a set of three (you pick) + wasabi/ginger in a little black container. Takeout boxes have been done before for handmade sushi so if you have any better ideas, do tell! Boxes in Michael's are EXPENSIVE, so I made this one out of thick black paper... and that ain't no easy task!



It's all taped up because I made it at work and didn't have glue. I plan to use it as a template. I'd like to offter to write a small message on the inside of the opened tab (like Merry Christmas! or something). I don't know how popular, if at all, these will be, but I will totally wrap a ribbon around this and it will be cute!

No comments: