Sunday, October 30, 2011

There's a Halloween party to be had

I made rice krispie pumpkins to take to my cousin's Halloween party tomorrow. I forgot what a pain in the ass making rice krispie treats are. I got the idea from a recipe on a coupon for the cereal. The orange color comes from adding orange food coloring to the butter/marshmallow mixture and then adding that to the rice. I don't have orange food coloring so I used red and yellow. I also used the little hole-in-the-side-of-the-plastic-bag trick to accomplish the vines.


Gum drops for the stem!


I finished the owl wings this weekend. I didn’t really have a plan going into this. I just thought “make some wings and add some feathers.” I didn’t plan out how I would attach the feathers, or what the end result would look like. I just got started.

What I used:
Black fabric
Gray fabric
Feathers
Hot Glue
Scissors

First I cut a strip of black fabric the length of my arm and tied a knot at the end with a finger loop. Smart! I'm most proud of the finger loop idea!


Next I cut long rectangular strips and shaped them into feathers. It was neat, but boring-looking. I needed to add some real feathers.


I attached them to the fabric by gluing them to the strip and folding it over. It's pretty secure.

I cut smaller rectangular pieces of the gray fabric, wrapped and glued them, and then glued feathers underneath. I started feeling like I had ran/walked for miles and realized I went too far…. That I still had to turn around and go back. IOW, I had another wing to do. This wasn’t supposed to take so much time! There’s other stuff I wanted/needed to do!


I finished it up and I'm pretty proud of the end result even though I should have made the gray stripes more even. This is just the left wing. It's so big I had to take a picture from overhead. I'm excited to wear these!

I had a lot of feathers left over so I have some pieces for my hair or something. And since I'm an ever-resourceful crafter I even have pieces that will be Christmas tree ornaments. Feathers on the Christmas tree!

No comments: